Saturday, October 2, 2010

too young ?

Me : "So i joined this cyber community for travellers, Couch Surfing."

Mom : "So?"

Me : "Well i think it could give me opportunities to.. you know.. travel easier, you know, coz if i were a member and i'm travelling to.. let's say, Hong Kong, i could just ping Couch Surfing members who live there, and contact them, ask for hosting me, and probably got me house to live, so i don't have to like, spend money for hotels or stuff.."

Mom : "Seriously?"

Me : "Yeah my friends has experienced some."

Mom : "So you're thinking about doing it too?"

Me : "Well, i guess so.."

Mom : "How do you know it's safe?"

Me : "Well, i don't know the details but the web has guaranteed it all, and according to my friend-"

Mom : "So you have no clue what's the reality will be like? Huh?"

Me : "Yeah but according to my friend-"

Mom : "Then your friend is one in a million deserving a damn luck!"




Me : "Mom please let me explain, the thing is, Couch Surfing's more like meeting a friend of a friend. I could read all about other members' experiences with that person, whether positive or negative. I have a full profile's worth of information about their interests and perspectives and i could correspond with them as much as I want before meeting them."

Mom : "Oh so it's like Facebook for travellers? How trustworth!"

Me : "Could you just please let me try? You know i wouldn't travel around the world without your permission.. But i just wanna experience.. and let it happens, and.."

Mom : "So just do it."

Me : "Well yes i am doing it right now, but to get verified by this cummunity, to get the trust for hosting or surfing, you know, there's a price to pay.."

Mom : "And why is that so important that you're talking to me?"

Me : "Well, it's actually like a donation, to proof that i am able to do the thing, to be legal, and the payment is using visa, it's like buying online tickets actually.."

Mom : "So? You have visa, you have the card."

Me : "But i don't have the money.. so, could you, please-"

Mom : "Well of course not! You're the one searching for trouble, young lady, don't involve me in!"

Me : "Mom! It's not like all stuff is vulnerable or something, i just wanna stand a chance and-"

Mom : "Listen! All of these, your excitements, optimism, coolness what so ever, it's not like you were absolutely ready to deal with it! You're just being so young, so curious, so adventurous, i understand, it's only a part of your growth. But the reality there you see, it's not as easy as it seems. I've been there before so i know how it's like! And because i am your Mom, it's my job to tell you the truth."

Me : "But Mom.."

Mom : "Look. I'm so tired today and i really don't wanna have this discussion with you actually, the point is, don't just give up to excitement. There's a lot more thing that you have to consider before doing anything, especially dealing with another country, it's a huge mistake to only depend on a silly web information!

Me : "Yeah i know, but-"

Mom : "End of discussion."
 
-------------------------------

*sigh*

Sepertinya CouchSurfing belom berjodoh sama nyokap gw...


1 comment:

  1. your mom should meet my dad. Cucok.
    My daddy is afraid i will lost in Muscat so he didn't let me go to Oman alone. Emak gw bakal balik dari Oman untuk pergi lagi bareng gw. Nyahaha. Nasip anak bungsu.

    ReplyDelete